End of support is coming for older versions of Internet Explorer.
Beginning January 12, 2016, only the current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. Microsoft recommends that customers running older versions of Internet Explorer upgrade to the most recent version, which is Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
For a complete list of browser/OS combinations supported after January 12, 2016, please see the Microsoft Support Life cycle FAQ for Internet Explorer.
What are the benefits of upgrading to Internet Explorer 11?Internet Explorer 11 is a consistent, reliable browser platform for enterprise web apps. Most large organizations have a wide variety of web apps that have evolved over the past 20 years. Only Internet Explorer 11 offers the security, manageability, performance, backward compatibility, and modern standards support that large web app portfolios need.
- Internet Explorer 11 has the best backward compatibility of any web browser. With nine document modes, Internet Explorer 11 is the only browser with high-fidelity emulation for older versions of Internet Explorer. Upgrading apps to modern standards is still the best long-term strategy, but you can use backward compatibility to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 more quickly and easily.
- Modern web technologies like HTML5, CSS3, and WebGL ensure that Internet Explorer 11 works with today's websites. As your business moves to more cloud-based apps and services, you need an enterprise-class browser to help ensure business continuity. Internet Explorer 11 provides consistency and reliability across your Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 desktops.
- Internet Explorer 11 is more secure than older versions. For example, independent security firm NSS Labs found in 2010 that Internet Explorer 8 blocked about 85% of socially-engineered malware, but more recently reported a 99% block rate for Internet Explorer 11. With security features like SmartScreen and Enhanced Protected Mode, Internet Explorer 11 significantly reduces risk.
- Internet Explorer 11 can ease your next Windows migration, as Internet Explorer 11 is the only Internet Explorer version that runs on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Upgrading to Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 now can help unlock the next generation of software, services, and devices.
I want to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11. Now what?As an end user, you most likely have Automatic Updates turned on, and have already upgraded to Internet Explorer 11 without having to do anything. If you haven't turned on Automatic Updates yet, do so now by clicking the Check for Updates button on the Windows Update portion of Control Panel to get started.
If you manage computers on behalf of your organization, there are several resources that can help IT professionals upgrade those computers to Internet Explorer 11:
- Tips and tricks to manage Internet Explorer compatibility - tips on how to achieve better backward compatibility for your older web applications with the Enterprise Mode Site List
- Internet Explorer 11 Deployment Guide - guidance to help you plan for, deploy, and customize Internet Explorer 11 for your organization
- Plan for Internet Explorer 11 - features that can help reduce testing and remediation costs
- Modern.IE - tools, best practices, and prescriptive guidance for developers who are updating web apps to modern standards
- Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit - an agentless inventory and planning tool that can assess your current browser installation base
- Microsoft Premier Support – Gain the most benefit from your IT infrastructure by pairing your business with Microsoft Services Premier Support. Our dedicated support teams provide continuous hands-on assistance and immediate escalation for urgent issues, which speeds resolution and helps you keep your mission-critical systems up and running.
- Microsoft Consulting Services – Fast and effective deployment of your Microsoft technologies shortens the time it takes to see value from your investments; and when your people use those technologies to their fullest extent, they help grow their skills and your business. Microsoft Services consultants work with your organization to deploy and adopt Microsoft technologies efficiently and cost-effectively, and can help you minimize risk in your most complex initiatives. Our expertise on the Microsoft platform and collaboration with our global network of partners and technical communities, fuel our ability to help you consider just what else is possible through your innovation and Microsoft technologies and solutions.
- Internet Explorer Migration Proof of Concept – The Microsoft Services Internet Explorer Migration Proof of Concept helps customers understand the migration process to the latest version of Internet Explorer, using a structured workshop targeted to IT professionals and developers. Your subject matter experts will quickly learn how to evaluate compatibility issues and remediation techniques. For more information, contact your Microsoft Services representative or visit www.microsoft.com/services.
- Microsoft Partners on Pinpoint– Connect with a certified IT specialist in your area who knows how to help you upgrade to the most current version of Internet Explorer, with minimal disruption to your business and applications.